Wednesday, March 9, 2011

No Luck So Far

I have been looking the past two days now around our property and woods, but not having any luck as of yet. The temperatures are still pretty low outside and not so surprising I haven't seen any other amphibians. I still hear the Spring Peepers at night, warmth of Spring should be coming soon. This weekend's temperatures look a little more promising, so I am planning a trip to a nearby swamp to see if anything turns up there. It's a tedious process trying to find these little critters sweeping back and forth with a flashlight. Double questioning everything you see to make sure you didn't miss that possibility of it being something alive, rather than another dead leaf that's shiny from being wet. Oh well, something has to be found and I am determined to find it.

I have also been trying to find out more information on the salamander migration in the breaks between searching outside for them. So far it is hard to tell when the best time is to look in my area, mostly says first warm rain. What is the first warm rain of the year? It can't possibly mean the first time it rains instead of snowing, that happens a lot. We don't always get snow along with a lot of places don't only get snow during winter either. But with that being said I am starting to question myself as to whether I am too late to see this migration. Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment